African Peanut Soup
Creamy, delicious, and filling, this African peanut soup is brimming with rich full-bodied flavor and each serving contains a significant source of Vitamins A and C to boot.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 chicken breast (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (seeds removed and chopped)
- 2 jalapeños (seeds removed and minced)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. dried ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 large sweet potato (approximately 1.5lbs., peeled and cut into half inch pieces(
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups handfuls fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Melt coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes until starting to brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Sauté onion and red pepper for 2 minutes until starting to soften. Add jalapeño, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and continue cooking 2-3 minutes.
Add sweet potato, tomato, and broth. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir in peanut butter and chicken and simmer another 15 minutes. Add peanuts, spinach, cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 910mg | Potassium: 979mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5320IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 3.9mg