The best healthy cornbread recipe with white whole wheat flour that is still buttery, perfectly moist and absolutely delicious!
Servings 9 pieces
- 1 cup cornmeal fine ground is best but medium works too
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk* preferably room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. cup butter melted but not still hot
Preheat oven to 400°F (205° C).
Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Add honey, buttermilk then melted butter and whisk to mix in.
Butter an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. Pour batter into pan and place pan into preheated oven.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until starting to turn lightly golden on top and cooked through (if not sure, test by inserting a toothpick into the center of the pan and if it’s cooked it won’t have batter on it when you pull it out).
Cut into 9 pieces and serve cornbread while still warm. Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
* To make buttermilk, put 1 Tbsp. vinegar to 1 1/4 cup of milk. Stir and let sit for about 10 minutes before using.
* To make cornbread muffins, grease 9 spots in a muffin tin and pour cornbread into prepared spots. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 126IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg