Delicious chocolate coconut protein cookies use banana for sweetness and moisture and heart healthy oats, avocado, protein powder for an extra health kick.
Okay, I know what you’re thinking already. Protein cookie? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a cookie altogether? I would normally agree wholeheartedly, but hear me out on this one. I LOVE sweets, but rarely make them because I just can’t control myself when I have ready access to sugary, delicious, chocolaty foods. Mmmm… just typing that made me do a mental inventory of all desert like items in the house. See? Its just not good for me to have that stuff sitting around.
Luckily a chocolate coconut protein cookie comes to the rescue by providing a fix to trick my sweet tooth into thinking I’m caving to my sugary craving… but au contraire! I’m really sneaking in a slew of healthy fats, heart-healthy oats, and enough protein to make this a satisfying little snack. Well played, if I do say so myself.
The one downfall with these chocolaty little protein cookies is that they don’t last long. Not just because you will eat them all the first day you make them, but also because you are using fresh ingredients with high moisture content like banana and avocado, so they will go bad after 3 or 4 days on the counter (if they last that long). I have tried freezing these little protein cookie nuggets and it works okay, but of course they aren’t as good as they are fresh (but what frozen stuff ever really is?).
I admit that I am new to this whole protein powder thing, but I love the brandI have been using. If you are vegan and are looking for an alternative for whey protein, I’m not sure if other types will work the same way, but its worth a try.
Chocolate Coconut Protein Cookie
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 small avocado
- 1 1/2 scoops unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut (if unsweetened, double honey or agave nectar)
- 1/2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Either mash bananas by hand or use a hand mixer to blend until smooth and creamy. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Drop batter onto a lined cookie sheet into scant 1/4 cup globs (should make 12 cookies). Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until firm, but not overly done.
- Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before moving cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Will last for 3 days in an airtight container on the countertop.