This Instant Pot turkey chili is absolutely the best around! It's comforting, healthy and full of flavor but lightened up with some veggies and lean turkey.
This is one of the best bowls of chili I've ever had and I highly recommend adding it to your regular meal routine! If you're new to Instant Pot, this is an easy way to get started and hooked on using it since it's easy as can be.
This recipe can be made in 30 minutes and each bowl has 30 grams of protein for less than 350 calories which is amazing! So lean and so tasty.
Why you need to make this Instant Pot turkey chili
This turkey chili is what all of your chili-filled dreams are made of. And the Instant Pot makes it oh so quick and easy. Here are some of the reasons this recipe is the best:
- Lightened with ground turkey and veggies
- Done in 30 minutes
- One pot mealFull of flavor from LOTS of spices and seasoning
- Over 30 grams of protein
- Under 350 calories
- Reheats well as leftovers
Using heavily seasoned ground turkey and veggies lightens it up without losing any flavor. Are you wondering how it is so good when it's so light and healthy?
Welcome to the spice cabinet friends. This recipe uses a lot of spices, all readily accessible, to create a bowl of chili that will knock your socks off. It's so full of flavor that it might just be your new favorite way to do chili.
Normally chili simmers stovetop, but the Instant Pot cuts the cook time in half. It also makes it so that you don't have to clean up chili splatters from all over your stovetop (a minor but definite perk).
First and foremost, you'll need an instant pot. I have this 8 Quart Duo Plus but most 6 or 8 quart models should work for this recipe. It may look like a long list but the ingredients in this chili recipe are pretty basic:
- oil (I prefer avocado oil since it has a high smoke point)
- red pepper
- a poblano or green pepper
- ground turkey
- chili powder
- kidney beans
- chili beans
- crushed tomatoes
- cocoa powder
- tomato paste
- lime juice
How to make Instant Pot Turkey Chili
Thanks to Instant Pot, this Turkey Chili is super simple to make. I don't know about you but I'm always looking for quick and easy dinner recipes since I never seem to have enough time.
This one is all made in the Instant Pot too so you only get one pot dirty - woohoo! Here are the basic steps to follow.
- Heat the oil and sauté the veggies
- Brown and break up the ground turkey
- Add spices to season turkey and then deglaze the pan with broth before adding most of the remaining ingredients
- Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes
- Quick release pressure then stir in lime juice and season to taste if desired
- Serve with cornbread and all your favorite fixings!
What to serve with chili
Can we all agree that chili isn't chili without all the fixings? While the dish itself is dairy free, I normally add a few fresh toppings along with a bit of dairy.
Here are some of my favorite chili toppings:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- finely minced red or yellow onion
- green onion (I normally do this or the chopped onion, not both)
- cornbread - this recipe for whole wheat, healthier cornbread that is still buttery is exactly what you're looking for
As with most soups, this Instant Pot turkey chili stores and reheats well, making it the perfect meal for leftovers.
- Refrigerator - store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer - to freeze, put soup into microwave safe containers or a freezer safe bag (I use these reusable bags), leaving a little bit of room at the top of the container or bag for the soup to expand as it freezes.
Other instant pot recipes
If you're quickly falling in love with your Instant Pot and looking for new recipes to continue your love affair, I've got you covered:
- This amazing eggplant chicken curry - each bite is full of flavor
- This Guinness beef stew gets a uniquely delicious flavor profile from a hearty stout
- Creamy, fabulous beef stroganoff that's all made in one pot
- This beef plov recipe from Let the Baking Begin has been on my recipes to try list for awhile now
Other Ground Turkey Recipes
It's no secret that I'm a proponent of ground turkey. Here are a few of my favorite recipes:
- Turkey tacos are so intensely flavorful with fajita veggies and lots of spices and so quick and easy to make
- Stuffed cabbage rolls with quinoa and veggies are THE best healthy way to do this Eastern European dish
- Simmered spaghetti sauce that tastes just as good as traditional beef sauce
- These Greek turkey meatballs with tzatziki sauce are a fun, appetizer that you're sure to love
- Thai Stuffed peppers are one of our absolute favorites - sooo full of flavor on their own and then topped with a drizzle of peanut sauce
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- 1 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 green or poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or beef broth
- 15 oz. can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can chili beans drained and rinsed
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ Tbsp. lime juice
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, chopped red onion or sliced green onion, and/or any other desired toppings
- Turn Instant Pot on to Sauté setting and add oil to pot.
- Once oil is hot, add chopped onion, peppers, and carrot and sauté 4-5 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and turkey and brown, using a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces while cooking.
- Once turkey is browned. add chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook 1 minute longer until spices become aromatic.
- Add a splash of the broth and use the wooden spoon to deglaze pan and scrape up any burnt areas on bottom before pouring the rest of the broth in.
- Add beans, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire, cocoa powder, and tomato paste. Stir well to mix ingredients together.
- Close and seal Instant Pot lid and move vent to closed position.
- Set pressure level to High and set pressure cook time to 10 minutes (manual setting).
- When finished cooking, quick release pressure using a long wooden spoon and kitchen towel and once safe, remove lid.
- Add lime juice and stir chili. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional chili powder if preferred and serve with your favorite toppings.